Apply for membership benefits:
Would you like to profit from the 25% discount on the open access fee for Physiologia Plantarum? Request the code from the SPPS Office Secretary
Before you apply please read the following:
Travel grants up to 10.000 SEK can be decided upon any time. Grants for larger sums are to be submitted by a deadline 3 weeks before the next council meeting.
SPPS will evaluate your application according to the following points:
- Are you eligible for the grant you are applying for?
- Does the activity promote plant science in the Nordic countries?
- Is there money in the budget?
- Is the amount reasonable?
- Is the proposal a good idea?
Information about our grants
Next deadline: 26th of May 2020
For SPPS Travel and Lab Exchange Grants, the following rules apply:
- Only SPPS members are eligible to apply for travel grants
- all trips supported by SPPS must be taken within the Nordic countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland and Estonia) and all events must take place in the Nordic countries and be accessible to people from Nordic countries.
- A grant application is a request for funding, SPPS reserves all rights to decline an application without reasoning
- DO NOT book your tickets before you know if you will get funding!
- All grant applications must include a plan with estimated costs, and the purpose of the funding. Make sure, it is clear what you are applying for and how SPPS purpose, to promote plant science in the Nordic countries, would benefit from granting you money. Choose a reasonable standard for your accommodation! Depending on the location, SPPS will check the availability and prices of accommodation and travel, especially if your request seems expensive. The contact information of a referee and CV might be requested.
- SPPS travel grants cover only actual traveling expenses. Conference fees and food are not traveling expenses. If the accommodation is included in the conference fee, it will not be covered by the travel grant. Universities overhead fees and booking fees from traveling agencies will not be covered.
- For travel grants, active participation in the meeting (oral or poster presentation) is required. Make sure you receive an attendance certificate!
- SPPS encourages everyone to travel by train wherever possible. SPPS will in the not support trips that involve short distance flights that could be replaced by a train trip. This is even the case if a train ticket is more expensive than a flight. If you have a strong reason why you must travel by air, please explicitly ask for an exception and give a reason in your application.
- Apply in time! To circumvent additional unnecessary costs for you or your supervisor, estimate your travel costs and apply for the grant prior to booking your trip. Some universities require booking through special travel agencies and will deduct overhead from your grant if refunded. SPPS will not cover these costs. Also, you might have to cover the cost of your trip yourself in case your application is not successful
- In case you can not take your planned and funded trip, please check if your personal insurance covers your expenses, as SPPS does only cover your expenses if your trip actually is taken. If you do not have such an insurance, you can include the cost for this in your travel budget.
- SPPS tries to evaluate your application within 2 weeks, but more time can be needed in some cases (if someone is on holidays for example) Please let us know in your application if a decision is especially urgent and why (to have applied late is not a special reason for an urgent decision ;-) )
- Exceptions from these rules can be made on special request. As they crave a decision from the council, which takes more time.
For more information on the SPPS grants, please contact the SPPS office.
Applications can be submitted at any time.